Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Our journey to Chloe

Tomorrow is Chloe's final adoption hearing. We have a crazy day planned so while I had a free moment today I want to tell you about our journey to Chloe.
If you have been reading my blog from the beginning, you know that we had some major hurdles in starting our family. We went through fertility treatments, bed ridden pregnancies and the tragic losses of our children, Evan, Sophie and Brayden. Our road was not an easy one but one we knew we had to continue traveling. We were blessed to be selected by a couple out of state to adopt their baby girl. Annabelle was born and we were completely happy. We began the renovation and addition of our home right after her first birthday knowing that someday, we would adopt again. One month later, we were in a restaurant with my in-laws when my sister called. Our agency could not get a hold of us and she was our emergency contact. Her words were"Call Malinda right away." Our first thought was that it had something to do with Annabelle. But her adoption was final....they couldn't change their minds...Could they? We ran outside, called our attorney and heard her say"Annabelle is going to be a big sister..in 2 months. Do you want this baby?" Without even asking Chris I screamed"YES!!!!" of coarse, he agreed. We were living out of boxes in half a house but we knew if there was room in our hearts finding room in our house would not be a question. We didn't know if we were going to be blessed with a boy or girl until December 1st when Malinda called and asked what we were going to name our daughter.
December 1st little Chloe Elizabeth was born. Full blooded sisters. We were so blessed. We left that afternoon to make the 18 hour drive to Florida. We met her the next day. She was so beautiful and so tiny. 5 pounds 1 ounce. She was in the hospital for 5 days from some complications but she fought through and has been fighting ever since.
Chloe is light and sunshine. She is smiles, giggles, silliness, cuddles and spirit. She has a grin that stretches across her entire tiny little face. She loves to argue and debate, kiss and hug, test the ever changing waters...your typical two and a half year old! I always say that Chloe filled a hole in my heart I didn't know existed. I thank God everyday for the selflessness of their birth parents. I cannot imagine the strength it took for them to make the decisions they made. The love they have for these little girls . I will be honest. Most of the time when I tell our story I get the reaction "How could they do that. Why did they keep having them?" I will not go into all of the details out of respect for them. All I can say is that I thank God everyday for their actions. I will not judge them. I don't know what I would have done in their position. All I can do is love their babies beyond what they ever could have hoped or imagined. Beyond the moon, the stars, We do!!!

6 comments:

Chesnye said...

Oh Melanie, We just got home from church and I checked here for recital pictures, but got this BEAUTIFUL post instead. I have happy tears after reading about your journey to Chloe. I am just so happy for you and your family. What a wonderful thing for the girls' birth parents to do.. to give them a life full of love!!
Hugs,
Chesnye

Laura said...

Oh, Melanie! I just have tears in my eyes! What beautiful little girls! You and your husband are so blessed!! Thank you for sharing your story! Thank you for telling me that you can have room in your heart to love two children!

I am so glad to have found a new friend who is my age and has a daughter close in age to Alise. I feel like I have finally found someone that can "relate." Ha! :)

Melissa Lester said...

I had read on your blog awhile back that they are full-blooded sisters, so I'm so glad you shared this story with us. Congratulations on the adoption being finalized today! I am celebrating here!

Mama's the Boss said...

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing your story--it is so sweet & full of blessings.

Leigh Ann said...

I came over from Laura. I am so touched by your story. What lucky little girls! I'm so glad God brought you all together. My niece is adopted, so I have a special place in my heart for adoption...for the courage of the birth parents and for the love and hearts of the adoptive parents. Congratulations on your new addition!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What an incredibly beautiful story!! I think it is amazing that their birth parents could have such love and courage to give their children a better life. And how lucky your daughters are to have two sets of parents to love them forever, even if they never again meet the birth parents. Happy tears for you and your beautiful family!!