Thursday, July 9, 2009

In loving memory of our son, Evan Christopher



**** I wrote this post last year on Evan's 8th birthday. Today, our precious son is celebrating his 9th birthday in Heaven along with his little sister Sophie and her twin brother, Brayden. I am struggling with words this year...maybe because the one phone call I always looked forward to was from my dad. My dad never forgot to wish his grandchildren a Happy Birthday. We would talk about the night Evan was born and how special it was to him that he had been there the night we placed our firstborn son in God's Hands. My Dad is not with me today but he is with Evan and I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt... that they are sailing the ships of Heaven together. ***


It has been eight years since we said "Goodbye" to our little boy. He was stillborn July 9th 2000. My heart aches for him today..everyday.

Tonight I sat here writing my memories of the night he was born. I have kept those words private but have managed to compose myself enough to share this with you.

I have been crying, smiling, remembering the love that surrounded us that day. Our family and friends were incredible and honestly, with their love and lots of prayers, we survived the worst heartache a parent can imagine. We lost dreams, hopes, and have held on to "what might have been"s." I know where he is. I know he and his little brother Brayden and sister, Sophie are safe in the arms of our Lord. Watching over us every day and blowing kisses in the wind.

Chris and I love the Great Lakes...especially Lake Michigan and had dreamed of taking our children there and hoping that they would love it as much as we do. We had purchased a sailboat quilt for his nursery and could not wait for our first trip up north with our baby. On one occasion during my pregnancy, Chris had surprised me with tickets to see Jim Brickman in concert. We spent the weekend in Traverse City and toured the little shops and galleries of the harbor towns. We had met an artist in Leland and fell in love with her work. Chris had told me that day that when our baby was born, we would buy a painting from her for the nursery.

We lost Evan on July 9th and had a small graveside service for him on July 11th. We felt it only fitting to play "Ships of Heaven " for our little boy. The service was filled with every blue hydrangea in town and all of our loved ones sprinkled petals over his casket and said their goodbyes.( Those blue hydrangea now surround our home and continue to bloom and grow.) It was so beautiful. The skies were blue, the wind was calm and we knew our little Evan was sailing through the clouds at that very moment.

A few weeks later, I was sitting in his empty room and decided to call the artist we had met. I told her who I was and she remembered us and was so heartbroken to hear our news.After speaking with her and telling her our dreams for him, she created this beautiful painting and poem.


The Morning sunrise was brilliant
Lake Michigan was at its most calm-
The tiny little sailboat felt so happy and free--
as he knew he was held in the Lord's palm.

"I'll be sailing on the ships of Heaven
and if you just look up and see,
I'm at the helm of my little sailboat
and it's named the 'Evan C'."

Oh how I miss you, my sweet son. I love you. Happy Birthday.

15 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Melanie. We are praying for you & your family.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVAN CHRISTOPHER...I'm sure God is throwing an amazing party for you surrounded by lots of family that we are all longing to see again.

Leslie said...

This song gets me every time, I remember that week like it was yesterday. So painful to look back. Aunt Leslie sends her birthday loves up to the Heavens for our little Evan.

Leslie said...

I'm so so sorry for your lost Melanie. Your post is so beautiful, and shows truly what a wonderfully kind and loving mother you are. It brought tears to my eyes.

Happy Birthday Evan Christopher!!!

Praying for you on this day Melanie.

Laura said...

What a beautiful story for a beautiful and special little boy.

I hope there are no hard feelings about my earlier post. I never meant to imply that you shouldn't mourn. I had only hoped that the thankfulness of what you currently have would help get you through remembering the loss. I had an ectopic preganancy (You can see my post around Father's Day)in 2004 before we had Alise so my saddness and days of remembering occur in February. I say all of this to let you know that I never intended to not sound sympathetic to what you are going through today.

May God bless you with strength, comfort, and peace today.

Sheri said...

Melanie, my thoughts and prayers are with you today as you both mourn and celebrate your precious son Evan. How special the picture and poem are!

Michelle said...

I can't even begin to imagine the pain you feel ... but I am inspired by your courage and wisdom. Your life, your creativity, your strength reaches outside the pages of your website and into the hearts of those of us who find ourselves reading your beautiful words. You are in my thoughts today ...

Warmly,
Michelle

Miss Priss said...

Awww, truly sad. Im so sorry for your heartache and the loss that causes it.

Laura said...

Melanie - Send me your email address. Email me at wayla0422@gmail.com.

Chesnye said...

What a beautiful reminder you have of your precious son. I can only imagine how seeing that painting makes you feel. We will say extra prayers for you today. Someday you will have such a beautiful reunion with your baby boy. Happy Birthday Evan Christopher!

Mama's the Boss said...

Thank you so much for sharing. You have such a beautiful reminder of your sweet, little angel.

Jennifer P. said...

Thank you so much for this post and for your sweet wishes on my blog. My prayers are with you as well. I am more and more convinced that this life is a time to gather questions--not get answers, but that one day everything will be made perfect enough to make our joy full.

Best to you.

Tausha said...

found your blog from Raye-this post gave me chills. THe painting is breathtaking and oh so special!
I am so happy that you chose to share you feelings with me, a stranger. You made my day be a little bit closer to heaven and the people who live there now.
So sad for your loss. I can't even imagine.
At least we all know he is in a place full of love and hope, where you will never have to worry about the world and praying that we can do the right thing by our children.
WHat a special angel your family has. Thanks again for sharing. Please stop by and say hello.

Melissa Lester said...

I so sorry that you have experienced this heartache and wish Evan could have grown up in your sweet family. Carson's middle name is Evan; I think it is such a beautiful name. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Erin said...

I am just returning from being out of town. I know too well, how it is to walk through this life with the love for your beautiful son forever beating at the door of your heart. I really ache for you. For all that you have lost. I know for certain, that our losses will be made up to us at some distant time and place, when we see our children running toward us with their arms outstreched. I live for that day, as I know you do. Until then, may you see your children in your dreams...

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Melanie, your post is so precious. A mother's hear always aches for her child no matter how long it has been. You have suffered great loss and come through it obviously much stronger.
The song still gets me...the pain is truly like a heavy coat. I'm saying extra prayers for you.

~Lynn